Manchester City forward Carlos Tevez was arrested in England for driving while disqualified. He is now out on bail and must await trial hearing.
beIN SPORT News Services
Carlos Tevez has been arrested for allegedly driving while disqualified and is now waiting to hear whether he could face a charge that could bring a possible prison sentence of up to six months, as reported in the UK by The Guardian and Sky News.
Tevez, banned from driving in January, was taken to Macclesfield police station on Thursday evening after being stopped in a high-powered car on the edge of the town.
A statement from Cheshire police said: "At 5.13pm on Thursday 7 March police arrested a 29-year-old man from Alderley Edge on the A538 in Macclesfield on suspicion of driving while disqualified. He has since been released on police bail."
Tevez had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of failing to supply information over incidents in which his car was clocked speeding. As well as being banned for six months, he was ordered to pay fines and costings totalling £1,540. His legal team had told Manchester Magistrates' Court their client did not understand the word 'constabulary' on official letters from the police.
The Manchester City footballer has now been released on bail and is expected to await trial. Driving whilst disqualified is considered a serious offence with a maximum penalty of six months in prison and a £5,000 fine. Often the courts also consider community service or anti-social behaviour orders.
More information to follow, as this is a developing story.