Play by Play Announcer - @PhilSchoen
beIN SPORTS' Phil Schoen is one of the most recognizable voices in televised soccer. His work has been seen and heard on all of the major sports networks, over numerous championships and three World Cup finals.
A highly acclaimed lead announcer for top European leagues such as La Liga, Bundesliga and Serie A in addition to announcing various championships from the Americas, including Copa America, Schoen is seemingly joined at the hip by color commentator Ray Hudson for many of these duties.
From 1996 through 2001, Schoen was the primary soccer voice of ABC, ESPN and ESPN2, covering the World Cup, Major League Soccer, Champions League and NCAA Finals. He also called matches from the Olympic qualification tournaments and US Open Cup. The Sporting News named him “the best English-language play-by-play man in the country.”
In 2001, Schoen began a two-year stint as executive producer and announcer for United Soccer League matches carried on FOX Sports World and served as managing editor of the official websites for Umbro and the United Soccer Leagues (USL).
Schoen has numerous announcer credits for college soccer, football and basketball games for several regional cable networks and has extensive experience as a sports announcer for several radio stations where he has hosted a variety of talk shows, reporting and anchoring pre- and post-game shows.
A graduate of Bowling Green State University, Schoen has called games for Rutgers University and Florida International University.
Phil Schoen Archive
- USA Aiming to Work Out Final Kinks in Friendly vs. Nigeria (June 6, 2014)
- Tougher Turkey a True Pre-World Cup Test for USA (May 30, 2014)
- Copa America 2015 Will Be Soccer in its Purest Form (May 6, 2014)
- Copa America Centenario Coming to Soccer-Crazy USA (May 3, 2014)
- Copa America Centenario Coming to USA (April 10, 2014)
- USMNT Coach Jurgen Klinsmann Learns a Lot From Friendly Draw With Mexico (April 3, 2014)
- Julian Green Just the Tip of USA's Youth-Talent Iceberg (April 1, 2014)
- Impressive History of Clasico Debuts From Real Madrid, Barcelona Stars (Mar. 22, 2014)
- Onward and Upward for MLS as League Expands and Gets Stronger (Mar. 4, 2014)
- Jurgen Klinsmann Hoping USA's Run of Bad Luck Ends Soon (Feb. 21, 2014)
- David Beckham Can Make MLS a Success in Miami (Feb. 6, 2014)
- U.S. Men Set to Debut Young Talent in Friendly vs. South Korea (Feb. 1, 2014)
- Explaining My U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame Ballot (Jan. 24, 2014)
- U.S. Soccer Fans Have Mixed Emotions About Michael Bradley's Move to MLS (Jan. 10, 2014)
- American-Born Giuseppe Rossi Excelling With Fiorentina in Italy (Dec. 13, 2013)
- USA Has a Chance to Prove Itself With Difficult World Cup Draw (Dec. 9, 2013)
- MLS Cup Will Be Well Worth Watching (Dec. 3, 2013)
- Long Row to Hoe for U.S. Before World Cup in Brazil (Nov. 22, 2013)
- Time for the U.S. to Get 'Nasty' (Nov. 15, 2013)
- The USA's Best Uncapped XI (Nov. 13, 2013)
- MLS Playoffs Strike Positive Chord (Nov. 8, 2013)
- Bob and Michael Bradley: America's Soccer Ambassadors (Nov. 1, 2013)
- In Clásico, Don't Sleep on Neymar and Bale (Oct. 23, 2013)
- US-Panama Match Has Huge Ramifications on Mexico's World Cup Hopes (Oct. 14, 2013)
- Klinsmann, USA in a Position of Power (Oct. 10, 2013)
- African World Cup Qualifying More Than Just Vuvuzelas (Oct. 10, 2013)
- Team USA Retooled and Reloaded (Sept. 12, 2013)